Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mission, Texas Day 10 Continued









Today we went to a couple of flea markets. The first one was recommended to us and turned out not to be much. The other was so large that we were only able to walk through about a fourth of it. That was probably okay since every fifth booth was a repeat of the same stuff. Looked a lot like what we saw in Mexico. We then went to Walmart to get a few things and on the way back decided to drive out to see the hand pulled ferry boat on the Rio Grande at Los Ebanos (the "n" needs a tilde,but I don't know how to find one on my computer). I guess that if I stay in south Texas long, I will have to find it.

We got to Los Ebanos at 4:00 and the ferry closed at 3:30. Los Ebanos looks like it is on the wrong side of the river. Everything is really old and run-down, but it was very peaceful. Zero traffic. Seemly, there are more goats than people. One was taking it's nap in the middle of the road. It's hard to believe that places like this exist in the USA. It was a nice trip even though we missed the ferry. I threw in a picture of our camp at Mission.

On the way back, I stopped at a little mexican tire place and used my limited spanish to ask the kid to rotate my tires. He finally understood and I asked him "que mucho". I think that translates "what much", but it was as close as I could get. He said five dollars and dropped everything and started immediately. It only took him about 10 minutes, but I gave him 10 dollars. Came home and Emily gave me a much needed harcut. I found the nearest english-speaking baptist church online so we will probably go in the morning.

No comments: